There are 9 Colour belt patterns
- Chon Ji
- Gan Dan
- Do San
- Won Hyo
- Yul Gok
- Joong Gun
- Toi Gye
- Hwa Rang
- Choong Moo
Meaning of belt colours
- White – Signifies innocence, as that of a beginning student who has no previous knowledge of Taekwon-Do
- Yellow – Signifies the Earth from which a plant sprouts and takes root as the Taekwon-Do foundation is being laid.
- Green – Signifies the plants growth as the Taekwon-Do skill begins to develop.
- Blue – Signifies the Heaven, towards which the plant matures into a towering tree as training in Taekwon-Do progresses.
- Red – Signifies danger, cautioning the student to exercise control and warning the opponent to stay away.
- Black – Opposite of white, therefore signifying the maturity and proficiency in Taekwon-Do. It also indicates the wearer’s imperviousness to darkness and fear.